Encouraging your children to brush their teeth, floss regularly and avoid sugary foods and drinks is essential for maintaining good oral hygiene. Additionally, annual or semi-annual checkups are highly recommended for children.
We, at Orangeville Smiles Dentistry, detect dental complications as early as possible to ensure maintaining a high oral health standard for children from infancy through their teen years.
Treatments that are offered at a pediatric dentistry may include:
- Oral health exams for infants, kids, and teens
- Counselling for bad habits (such as thumb sucking and pacifier use)
- Early assessment and treatment for improper biting and uncharacteristic growth
- Filling in tooth cavities
- Cleaning teeth to completely remove plaque deposits
- Recommending a proper diet that maintains healthy teeth and gums
What is the right age to start visiting the dentist?
Children should have their first dental examination when they reach the age of one. This is to get familiar with their dentist, dental office environment and various dental procedures. During these visits, the dentist will take a look at any growing teeth, and make sure the gums are healthy and not inflamed. Appointments may include a gentle cleaning and parental instruction on how to care for their children’s teeth.
The dentist will also give guidelines on nutritional intake. Additionally, your dentist will recommend how frequent the subsequent follow-up visits will be. This woul ddepend on the child’s dental condition and his or her reaction to the initial visit. However, regular checkups is usually scheduled at six-month intervals.